I’m delighted with how our kitchen turned out! However, I’d like to seize this as the perfect opportunity to share that I don’t want to sugarcoat the level of difficulty of this project. It was physically draining and it’s not for anyone who doesn’t have patience for time consuming, and tediously, detailed projects. It completely tied-up our kitchen, but then again, a full-blown renovation would have as well. This type of project isn’t the perfect solution for everyone, so if you’re not big on tackling projects that require vast chunks of time to complete, I wouldn’t recommend it. That said, even though it was challenging, it worked out for us – so it is doable. That is, as long as you’re willing to put in the time and the effort. If you don’t end up opting to do the project, no judgement from me! I completely understand! 😁 Thanks for visiting my page and for reading!
Supplies we used:
- Degreaser kitchen cleaning product
- Several rolls of paper towels
- Fine Grit Sandpaper
- Static Cling disposable dusting cloths (mine were from a dollar store).
- Duck brand Clean Release Painter’s Tape
- An array of different sized black foam paint brushes
- A synthetic bristle 2″ angle, edging brush
- A 4″-5″ mini foam roller. (I had several, spare high quality, foam roller refills on hand)
- Plastic painter’s drop cloths (better to have more than not enough).
- XIM UMA Bonding Primer
- Glidden Diamond Paint
- Duct Tape
- Mini cabinet door triangles “easels” (they’re plastic trianglular objects that you can rest cabinet doors on, in a makeshift workstation, while you paint one side of the door at a time).
“How to” Steps:
- You may want to refer to my “Tips for making a big DIY project easier on your household.” Because this project is going to tie-up your kitchen for at the very least two days, if not longer.
- I took every item that was on the counters and anything else in the room that I was concerned about getting dust/debris on (from sanding) completely out of the kitchen. I was glad I did this because it ended up being a bit of a messy project.
- My husband and I removed all of the cabinet doors and hardware and systematically laid them out on a makeshift work station in our basement.
(Tip: We made sure to not overwork any one area with the brush/mini roller, we kept moving along so that the paint wouldn’t get globby on the surface. Also, we were sure to keep an eye on the lookout for any surface drips or running of the paint – those we wanted to catch and correct immediately before they got tacky and started to dry.)
Tips for making all the hard work last:
- In my research, some people proceeded to apply a protective sealer product, after all of the painting was complete, but I really can’t speak to that. My husband and I didn’t bother, since we used a Bonding Primer that’s suppose to add to the adhesion/durability of of the paint. Our cabinets have been painted for 6 months and get a lot of use and there are only two minor chips in high traffic areas, that luckily aren’t visible. They will fortunately only require a quick touch-up.
- Don’t clean the cabinet surfaces for atleast two weeks after painting them.
- I also only use very mild cleaners on them, such as a vinegar and water solution.
- I left the newly painted doors off of the cabinets for atleast two weeks, before reattaching them to the newly painted, cabinet boxes again. This ensured they were truly dry and avoided me causing unnecessary dings and scratches that would have warranted further touch-ups.
These are links to sites that I used for inspiration before attempting my DIY project: